Thursday, May 4, 2017

Stop By and Read An Interview with Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins

An Interview with Romance Author Kelli A. Wilkins



1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Displaying Amazon AMUP cover.jpg
I’ve always known I was a writer, and I began writing short stories in high school and college. After college, I took a commercial writing class for fun and I learned a lot about the art of creating interesting characters and telling a great story. After being encouraged to submit my work, I decided to pursue writing seriously. Currently, I divide my time between writing novels, novellas, and short stories.

2. How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?

After I published my first book, my writing process didn’t change that much. I still wrote the books the same way, but gave them an extra last-minute proofread before I sent them to the publisher. This helped cut down on revisions. However, from that moment on, I had to learn a lot about marketing and promotion—two things I had never done before. I started a blog and a website, and then joined author and writer groups online. I also began sending out review requests, doing guest blogs, and author interviews.

3. Does writing energize or tire you out?

While I’m doing the actual writing of the book, I’m very energized and excited and in the flow of the story, so I don’t notice how much time has passed. After I finish writing for the day, I sometimes feel cooped up and I need to get out of the house. When that happens, I go for a walk or exercise, do something else physical to get me moving and take my mind out of the story.

4. Do you have a writing quirk? Please describe.

Yes. Some people find it hard to believe, but I write all of my books in longhand, using paper and pen. After the rough draft is done, I type up the manuscript and edit/revise it as I go.

5. Where do you get your ideas for your books?

Each book is different and I get the idea for the plot in different ways. Sometimes I’ll have an entire story jump into my head, and I’ll know everything about the book. (That happened with Dangerous Indenture, A Deceptive Match, A Most Unusual Princess, and The Viking’s Witch.)
Other times, I’ll get bits and pieces of the story and parts of the characters. Once in a while, I’ll have a character come first, and after I get to know and develop the character, I’ll find out the story. Then the other pieces fall into place, like a puzzle. (That happened with Loving a Wild Stranger, Four Days with Jack, Killer in Wolf’s Clothing, and Confessions of a Vampire’s Lover.)
Before I start a book, I need to know who the characters are and what’s going to happen to them. After that, I outline the scenes and start writing. As I write, I allow myself some leeway to explore things I hadn’t considered in my outline. I might add entire scenes or write scenes that are later omitted. Writing a new book is always an adventure for me and I never know where the characters or stories will take me.

Displaying Lies Love Redemption cover.jpg6. What kind of research do you do for your books?
That depends on what I’m writing. For my historical romances, (such as Lies, Love & Redemption, Loving a Wild Stranger, and The Viking’s Witch) I did a lot of research about different time periods, history, what life was like back then, etc. For my contemporary romances, I might research a fact that a character needs to know that I don’t—but for the most part, they don’t require too much research.
7. How do you select the names of your characters?
Sometimes this is a hard process. When characters introduce themselves to me I usually learn about them and their problem or situation before I’ll get a name. Usually, I’ll get a first initial or a first name only, and then have to discover more about the character before I get his or her whole name and backstory. Lies, Love & Redemption is one example. Before I wrote a word, I had the whole opening sequence in my head. I knew Sam and Cassie’s first names, and a bit about their backgrounds, but that was it. Sometimes my characters are a mystery to me until I get to know them better—even though I’m the one creating them!

Displaying LovingWildStranger.jpg8. Tell us about your latest release(s).

This spring, I released my Naughty Nobles trilogy of erotic historical/fantasy romances. The series is made up of Midsummer Night’s Delights, Midwinter Night’s Delights, and Ultimate Night’s Delights. Although the books are related, each stands alone as an individual read.
In January, I released Loving a Wild Stranger, a historical/pioneer romance set in the Michigan Territory in the early 1800s. Lies, Love & Redemption, my historical/western was published last September.

9. What’s next on the horizon for you?

Currently, I’m revising a new historical romance novel (as yet untitled) and I’m working on re-editing three more of my romances previously published with Amber Quill Press. After that, I have ideas in the works for a few other romances (another historical, a paranormal, and a gay contemporary).

10. Where can readers get in touch with you or find you on the web?

Thanks for letting me visit! It was fun sharing my thoughts with readers. I welcome questions and feedback from readers. I enjoy learning which characters and books they love the best.

Readers and other authors can get in touch with me via these social media links:

Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/2qCpJjI
Website: http://www.KelliWilkins.com

Happy Reading!

Kelli A. Wilkins

Meet the Author:

Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 100 short stories, 19 romance novels, and 5 non-fiction books. Her romances span many genres and heat levels.
Her trilogy of erotic romance novellas, Midsummer Night’s Delights, Midwinter Night’s Delights, and Ultimate Night’s Delights was released in spring 2017.

Loving a Wild Stranger was published in January 2017. This historical/pioneer romance is set in the wilds of the Michigan Territory and blends tender romance with adventure.

Kelli's third Medallion Press romance, Lies, Love & Redemption was released in September 2016. This spicy historical western is set on the Nebraska prairie in 1877.

Her writing book, You Can Write—Really! A Beginner’s Guide to Writing Fiction is a fun and informative guide filled with writing exercises and helpful tips all authors can use.

Kelli posts on her Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKelliWilkins and Twitter: www.Twitter.com/KWilkinsauthor.

She also writes a weekly blog: http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/.

Visit her website, www.KelliWilkins.com to learn more about all of her writings, read book excerpts, reviews, and more. Readers can sign up for her newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/HVQqb

No comments: